bakpakchik

Thursday, April 19, 2007

ChickenSouping

An interesting post on RantzRavez's blog (http://rantzravez.blogspot.com/2007/04/on-follies-of-living-in-fools-paradise.html) led me to comment and got me thinking.

It took me right back to a long shisha session with a new friend a few evenings ago and reminded me of something we talked about ...

... he asked me what was the one thing I regretted doing the most in my life ...

I though about it really hard and my answer was "Nothing".

Because what is 'regret' for an action if not the wish to reverse it? And I might have done lots of things that didn't seem 'the right thing to do' at that time .. either to me or to the people I did those things to ... but when I look at it in retrospect ... would I do any of it differently?

No.

Because what I 'did' .. and what we all 'do' .. is what we 'are' ... dictates what we 'become'.

And anyone truly happy with the way they are know that they are the way they are because of the things they did ... that going back and changing any of it will change what they are today.

And that leads me to the observation of how refreshing it is to meet new people and make new relationships ... you end up talking about things you can never imagine talking about with friends who you have been with for years ... old friends are good for comfort, but new ones are great for ChickenSoup.

This friend is somebody I met on a training course and he is a Really Nice Guy (the kind that is just not possible to run into these days). To think it all started with a compliment on nice shoes (from him to me obviously). And as nice as it is to get attention from a person of the opposite sex, we both flashed our wedding rings at each other and sighed in mutual relief that neither of us need worry about 'complications'.

Ended up having a veeeeeeeeery long shisha session the same evening with lots of ChickenSouping. We each tried to get our spouses to join us. Mine wasn't able to make it, but his did and what a woman!

Am still trying to get Arfiman to join so all four of us can be partners in crime and so that Arfiman won't start wondering who this Really Nice Guy is that I end up having shisha with.

Protocols aside, there is nothing like intellectualising with someone new.

The long conversations on the purpose and meaning of life, of love and everything else under the sun is something I was missing for so long. (And can you not see it reflected in the nature of my recent blog posts?!)

Let's face it ... we all need some ChickenSouping sooner or later. Okay, maybe it's just me but that just means that ChickenSouping is really, REALLY under-rated.

I have not had that for a while and I am TOTALLY enjoying it.

And it sure doesn't hurt that he insists I have the most beautiful eyes he has ever seen! LOL!!

Arfiman, that's it! You need to meet this guy now!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the post but I would have to disagree with the concept of regret. I think really having regret about our actions, and yes, that means wishing we hadn't done them is integral in making us better people. The fact that you regret acknowledges that what you did was wrong, and that regret will hopefully deter you from doing it again.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, replied to your comment on my post on dubai. check it out.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I want to email you, but not in a public forum. Could you please let me know your email address. I'm at sheroshero@gmail.com.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Rants & Raves said...

howdy... given an answer on my blog :)

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home