bakpakchik

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Dubai

Okay, I have officially HAD it with people complaining in Dubai. As if people who have lived here for years and years complaining isn't enough (if you hate it so much,why don't you leave?!!!!) there is a whole load of people who have no more than a few weeks of Dubaiiing under their belt and feel entitled to pass judgement on Dubai.

Fine, everyone has a right to their own opinion. But just because YOU THIHNK Dubai sucks doesn't make it the truth.

Case in point is a blogger who stumbled across my blog (sabizak.blogspot.com) and very tactlessly chose to educate me about the vices of Dubai.

Now, if she had said anything worth half a thought, I might have let it slide, but the pure ridiculousness of her accusations is definitely worth comment.

Saizak says: Dubai is one of the suckiest, most racist places on this planet. The goras and arabs are ROYALTY and Indi-Pakis are shit.

BPC says: Define 'sucky'? If, for you, sucky is an immense sense of security, a police force that does it's job, no power cuts, affordable water and electricity, god road, excellent parks and public facilities, then YES, Dubai is very, very sucky.

If you have seen the goras and Arabs treated like royalty and South Asians treated like shit, then there is a reason for it.

Tell me honestly, what class of South Asians comprises the majority of the UAE's expat South Asian population? MOST of them are construction workers, municipality workers who clean the streets etc., store clerks nad generally people working in low-paying, low-level jobs.

Now tell me what class of goras choose to live an expat life in the UAE. Do you see any gora construction workers, municipality workers , store clerks ... anybody working in low-paying, low-level jobs.

No, these guys come out here to make big bucks. Now don't tell me that there is any place in the whole world where a construction worker will get the same treatment as an office executive.

When you talk about 'treatment', why do you always look at how the poorman is treated. I am supposedly Pakistani. I get a pretty good salary: almost on par with my local colleague and EXACTLY the same as my gori colleague. I get a lot of respect in my workplace too.

The South Asians you see getting treated like doormats are those who treat the Goras like God. Trust me, the amount of ass-kissing I have seen South Asians doing for a Gora is disgusting.

As for the Locals, well, this is their own country and they have every right to receiving preferential treatment here.

Sabizak says: Dont know how u can stand for third class treatment and then like the place. But i guess everyone has different values.

BPC says: I will repeat what I said above, that I have a great job with a great salary, and have a great workin relationship with my colleagues of all nationalities. In my personaly life, I have friends from all over the world, Locals, Europeans, Arab expats ... I have never felt any discrimination on basis of my skin color.

I am very curious about this 'third class treatment' that you are suffering. Please tell me what exactly you are referring to.

Sabizak says: I remember once reading on ur blog that u dont like poor ppl or something to that effect. I guess Dubai is nice n purged of those types.

BPC says: I have no idea why you remember reading on my blog that I don't like poor people. That doesn't seem like a thing I would say. Please point me to the blog entry that says so.

What I definitely don't like is lazy or compacent people. And lots of times, I refuse to sympathize with 'poor' people because more than being victims of their destiny, they are victims of their own lack of ambition.

There is nothing that one cannot acheive if one works hard enough. I refuse to feel sory for a beggar who has thirteen poor children to feed and bringthem all out on the street with him to beg for alms. HE is just a menace to society. His kids should be in school and he shouldn't have thirteen bloody,fucking kids in the first place.

So yeah, I am glad there are no beggars in Dubai.

Sabizak: GODDAMN artificial place. Perpetual amusement park with nothing substantial to offer. The fucking place doesn't even have a decent bookshop or library. But I guess they'll start thinking about once the finish furnishing it with the ugliest high rise structures in the world (which is never)

BPC: You almost make me want to laugh there. Dubai is 'artificial'? What, you want it to be all organic, growing crops without chemicals and people living in mud huts or what?

Wake up, it's 2006. Air-conditioning and highways are there to make our life easier.

But I suppose what you really meant to say was "Dubai has no culture". Well, that's a very misconceived notions held by many new expats like you. Expats who come to Dubai and go to a few shopping malls, a few good restaurants, go on a desert safari, have a look at the Burj Al Arab and think that's all there is to Dubai.

Culture is not a homeless person that you see standing on street corners all the time.

Have you bothered to make any local friends to find out what the culture is? I guess you haven't, because if you had nurtured a realtionship with any locals, you would know that 'culture' is still very much there. You can't expect expats to show you what the 'culture' is like, can you.

Actually, if you want a crash course on the 'cultural' side of Dubai, visit Bastakiya. That's if you want to learn more about the culture of the people of this country.

If you want a fill of culture in a more modern sense, then there is no reason why you can't get any. There are at least twenty art galleries in Dubai displaying the work of international artists. There are atleast four venues that have independant screenings of foreign/art films every week. There are multitiudes of art/craft courses on offer. The Madinat Theatre almost always has a major production on. There are smaller theatre groups that have new plays and popular productions up on a constant basis. International troupes and theater groups visit the country all the time to give performances. There are culinary tours with world-famous chefs.

If you haven't found anyhting here besides malls, it not because there is nothing on offer. It's because you're lazy.

You say that Dubai doesn't even have a decent bookshop or library. HELLO. If you came from US or UK and compared stuff ot Barnes & Nobles, I would understand where you are coming from.

But you come from Lahore. What do they have there?! Liberty books?!!!! And you tell me you can't find anything to compare with that?

Maybe if you tore yourself away from the Nine West and Monsoon stores, you'd be able to see that there are a bunch of Magrudy stores around which are HUGE and have thousands and thousands of books. You also have smaller bookstores by the gazillions. Even Virgin Megastore in Mercato and in Mall of the Emirates has a huge book section.

New books too epxensive, betcha didn't know that there are second hand bookstores in Dubai too. Thre's one in Jumeirah Plaza and one in Ibn Battutta mall and you can pick up books in extremely good condition for as little as five dirhams.

Want cheaper books? Head to one of the charity shops (bet you didn;t know Dubai has those either?). On Thursday, the charity shop of St. Mary's Church clears up their books section and you can buy a whole carton for fifteen or so Dirhams.

Lazy. Again.

If you opened your eyes and gave Dubai half a fair chance, it would surprise you. It would welcome you with open arms and show you that it has so, so much to offer.

And if you still complain, then too bad that Dubai is just a city. Because if Dubai were a person, it would ask you why you are still here ...

18 Comments:

Blogger inspirex said...

its My dubai too!!!
havent been there in s while....but still a place i call home!
its like my bachpan ka gaaon...:P

i just dont get it..if ppl complain so much..why do they still live there?
hypocrisy in my opinion...

11:21 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

Oh dear! You've chosen a topic about which I could write tons... but I can't... 'cause I haven't got time... 'cause I'm too busy ruining children's futures...

...but I'll just take out five minutes to jot down some thoughts:

I've noticed that the whole 'dis Dubai' thing seems to have become something of a fashion. When I moved to the UK from Dubai in 1995, hardly anyone I came into contact with had heard of the place. No kidding. I'd tell them the UAE was a small country close to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and even then their faces still looked blank. After a few years, things changed, and Dubai became a super-glam, exclusive destination. And now things have changed again and the UK press tends to refer to Dubai in quite derogatory terms: things like 'Vegas of the Middle East', but not meant as a compliment. Bandwagons come and go and the latest one - at least as far as Dubai is concerned - is filled with people who've decided they don't like the place.

Having said that, I don't much like the place either, but then I never did... although I strongly suspect that was less because of the place itself and more because of other factors... and anyway, I think I was the kind of teenager who would've hated ANY place I lived in. And yes, as you say, people are entitled to their opinions of the place. And sadly, we can't do anything about the fact that most people feel free to formulate an opinion after spending a minimal amount of time in a place, but then Dubai isn't the only city to suffer from such prejudices.

But what I do object to - and I think you and I agree on this - is statements like "Dubai has no culture" or "Dubai has lost its soul" or "Dubai isn't real." These statements are usually made by people who actually mean that they simply DON'T LIKE Dubai's culture, because OF COURSE it HAS a culture. It can't NOT have a culture. That's a social impossibility. It IS a very specific culture. It IS a culture which is quite different from what it was 10, 15, 20 years ago, but it IS a culture. Same goes with the word 'soul'. People may not like Dubai's soul (I'm not sure I like all aspects of it) but it's plain naive (and downright silly) to say it has no soul. (Actually, its soul is quite hard to define, not to mention discern.) And as for Dubai not being real... I remember, when I still lived there, visitors would clamber onto their soapboxes and declare that I was living in a place that wasn't real. And I'd quietly think to myself, 'Excuse me? The only reason you think this place isn't 'real' is because your definition of reality is based on the place where YOU live... but surely the planet is big enough to contain several different versions of reality?'

So don't allow yourself to get too worked up about what people think of the place. There'll always be people who moan and complain. But the numbers speak for themselves and it's clear that Dubai's popularity is nowhere near diminishing.

Oh dear... I wrote too much... must stop... must pick up red pen...

11:55 PM  
Blogger Farrukh Ahmed said...

There's just one thing you can say to such people.........
Even though they say its not a nice place an' all.......they wanna live here 'cause they know they're even worse in their own country....lesser than 2nd grade citizens!

i wanted to write a book on this issue too.......but gotta get back to work!!

12:26 AM  
Blogger farhaN Nocturnal said...

My friends's Grand father and Uncles have lived in Dubai for more than four decades.

His grand father is an engineer and he is amognst those ppl who planned and built DUBAI , all his uncles served in very important departments of UAE governemnt.

His grand father was an advisor to the UAE kingdom on technical/planning issues.

buTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT what they think abt dubai now? they say its not worth living anymore, so two of his uncles have left CRAPY DUBAI.

THOSE PPL WHO TOOK PART IN THE PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION OF DUBAI ARE THINKING LIKE THAT , its not me and other ppl.


And in answer to the question raised by blog owner that why ppl still lIVING IN DUBAI WHEN THEY DON'T LIKE IT,

so MY QUESTION IS TO BLOG OWNER WHY DON'T YOU BURN YOUR GREEN PASSPORT WHEN YOU DONT LIKE PAKISTAN,

BUT YOU WONT BURN CUZ YOU R HYPOCRITE TOO.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bakpakchik, thank you for your passionate response and I like some of the points that you have made even when I disagree with the core value system at work in some of them.
Many of the places you pointed out I had absolutely no idea existed. Firstly, because I live in Sharjah, not Dubai and secondly like you rightly said I have just been here a month and a half. But even in my first comment I told you my response to the place is pretty emotional at the moment. In defence of my points though, my ideals in life are far from achieveing 'success' or being 'ambitious' in the capitalistic sense of the word so I do not value these things the way you seem to. As for 'low-level jobs' as you put it, I don't think there is any such thing as that. Everyone on earth deserves equal respect from us if they are honest and hardworking and I am sure there are nations in the world that respect that fact. Here's a nice link that you might like to follow that may explain what I am trying to say http://urbaniche.blogspot.com/2006/06/beautiful-cuban-world.html
As for the third class treatment you asked me to explain about, in the number of times that I have gone to hoity toity stores, like Ikea for instance, i have noticed that the Arabs working there fall all over each other trying to lick the boots of any gora who happens to saunter past them in a one mile radius but will not even as much as smile at you, infact be downright rude, when you ask them for directions or any other help. These may just be assumptions based on chance experiences, i dont know. It may well be so but according the the law of probability random occurences also point towards real statistics, Random Sampling, as they call it.
And when I talked about no decent books stores, i WAS comparing them to Barnes and Nobles, NOT Lahore, because Pakistan is a poor country and also does not have the lavish shopping Malls of the UAE, shopping malls that are comparable to those in the west for the clothing or the cosmetics items that they carry but in comparison to that no book store comes even near (as u have admitted urself, despite some very good leads that you have given me as to where to go hunting for some books). As for Liberty Books, go check out their online store and how beautifully it is run, delivering books all over Pakistan for free, i tried looking for some such online store in the UAE and i couldn't even find ONE. (Maybe you can enlighten me in that regard too).
As for parks. I gather you are from karachi thats why you spoke of that but these shadeless palm trees and the sorry excuses that they have for parks here, just go and lose yourself once in Lahore's Lawrence Gardens and you will know what the beauty of a genuinely lovely, tranquil, near to nature park is. Sadly Lahore now is also getting infested by the same consumer-billborad-neon culture that seems to have taken over the world with a vengeance where you are judged on is what you wear and how much you earn, not upon how kind or loving or genuine or sympathetic you are towards those around you. I think i have probably said enough.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I wish we had a BAKPAKCHIK VS SABIZAK mud wrestling match on tv.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except I didnt answer your question on why I am here. Its because my husband is working over here and apparently doesn't feel the same way about this place as I do. Were it dependent on me I would catch the first plane to Lahore and never look back.
Btw, what do you think about the internet censorship over here, the hegemony that Etisalaat enjoys and the subsequent exorbitant rates for calling abroad. And how about those two English rags that pass off as newspapers over here?
HOWEVER, having said ALL that it would be entirely stupid of me to say that every evil in the world resides in Dubai and Pakistan is the snow white land of the pure. What really ticked me off was the way you chose to show your displeasure towards your country. You are more than welcome to criticize it as undoubtedly there are many things wrong with it but I wish you would choose your words a little more objectively. It has at least given u the passport that u cannot possibly burn (coz this country will never give u its), but I guess Canada and such like would be a good option. If there is something wrong with our country we cant just merely throw stones at it and then disappear to greener pastures. THATs lazy, getting off our butt and trying to contribute in some positive way, now that requires real effort.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anonymous.

I dont think either bakpakchik or I have indulged in anything on this blog that would qualify us as mudwrestlers. Never heard of a heated exchange of opinion? Thats what they do in civilized countries to get their point across. Its also called freedom of expression.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they granting citizenships on the basis of your services or it's still out of question?

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read you don't want to return to Pakiland then what are your alternatives as you are not welcome in the country who is using your talent?

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have seen the goras and Arabs treated like royalty and South Asians treated like shit, then there is a reason for it.

Tell me honestly, what class of South Asians comprises the majority of the UAE's expat South Asian population? MOST of them are construction workers, municipality workers who clean the streets etc., store clerks nad generally people working in low-paying, low-level jobs.


Can you read what you write? Woman you are one racist lady. I read your archives and found out you've spent many years in KSA. Wow! how Saudi money spoils mind .. I've heard about but i've seen it too. FYI not everyone born with money. Most people need to earn it to make a living and just to get by. They are not fortunate to have gone to schools or have cars before their 20th birthday. People like you are spoiling Pakistan. Glad India got rid of these kind unless we were too ignorant like too.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bakpakchik,

You are brown so why you want people to respect you?

Sounds ridiculous! Isn't it. So just put yourself in construction worker shoes and ask why they wanted to be respected.

Dear Sabizak,

Not all Karachietes think like her. I am ver patriotic. This family is just full fo shit see what she has to say about Quaid-e-zam. Forgetting leaders are not res[onsible for their families act. Plus this not the Pakistan Quaid has envisioned. Atleast he never wanted it to be Non Secular and surely not wanted to break up in pieces.
http://karachi.metblogs.com/archives/2006/01/irony_of_ironie.phtml

I am all for national politics and give a damn to regional parties who destry nations while their leaders live comfortably in the west. These hartal calls from London are destroying us.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A thoroughly enjoyable discussion, including the flared tempers and stuff. Turns out, BPC may be right in some areas but lacks the class and decency of sabizak. This comment is not about foulmouthedness, tho, because both have used words once only the domain of crude sailors. I am talking of values that sabizak has, or claims to have. But i suspect her nationalism is a result of the brainwashing they get in Pakistan (similar to back in my own homeland, India). BPC thinks sabizak is lazy for not finding out stuff and the poor are in their state because of lack of ambition. I have heard more intelligent comments than this in monkey cages. IMHO, her own laziness is gigantic. She wants someone else to burn her passport. Do it now, BPC. Now! And show us that you have your money where your mouth is (or whatever it is you speak with)...

9:32 AM  
Blogger bakpakchik said...

FYI to all the people who commented, my green passport is in the oven right now :)

Yes, the UAE does have provisions for allowing people with their hearts in the right place to become a citizen. Ofcourse, like any other country, there are certain criteria.

This is my reply for now. A more detailed one will come tomorrow. For now, I have to go teach a photography workshop. GASP, yes, there IS something like that here too and GASP ... I have GASP GASP mostly local and European students.

OMIGOD!

How's that for equal opportunity? Don't tell me there are no Gora photography teachers around ...

Later.

5:32 AM  
Blogger farhaN Nocturnal said...

@ arfiman and bchick:

So after all refugees will get their new passports.

THATS AMAZING , GLAD TO HEAR THAT

And I am sure your ARAB MASTERS will still treat you in the same way.

YOU GOT TO CHANGE YOUR RACE AS WELL.

COULD YOU???

how miserable you guys are, i pity you all.

3:21 PM  
Blogger farhaN Nocturnal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BPC,you are a star:).Your pro dubai posts have made me a fan.I sooo want to move over there.whats the job scene for dermies(dermatologists)??hehhe.GO DUBAI.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Xeesh said...

Wow!
Those were some comments and explanation!
Wat to go Bakpakchik!

regards,
Zeesh

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home