bakpakchik

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Too much to tell, not enough time to tell it in ...

The last few days have been such a whirlwind with lots of things happening all one after the other and not even enough time to think about it, let alone blog about it.

Survivors of Air Blue (as described in one of my previous posts) will be please to know that we hosted a fellow survivor on her trip to The Land Of Four H’s (one of these days, I will tell you the story behind the christening of Dubai as such).

N. spent a few days with us and even though we didn’t get to see her a lot – what with me leaving for work at 7 am (when N. was sleeping) and coming back at 5 (at which time N. would be out doing whatever Londoners do in Dubailand.

We did however have some good times. I particularly cherish the memory of late night channel-surfing and making fun of sad Paki people trying to be cool on TV. Y’know, the whole ‘Awh Mai Gawd’ and ‘Haaaow Waanderfuul’ lot with their contrived accents and their fashion sense so off it wasn’t ever on any radar.

When you live with a boy, you sometimes miss girly chats. Not to say that my experience of living with my boy has been anything less than wonderful, but somehow, you can’t get a boy to get into a excited repartee about puffball skirts and dhoti shalwars and how we thought in the 80s we would die before we wore them and yet, today we die to wear them. *sigh*

I am such a fashion victim. (Which reminds me, I have not had a manicure/pedicure for over two weeks now!!!!) Naked, naked nails. Bad. Bad. BAD.

So, while N. was still here, I came home one day from work and upon the ringing of the doorbell, opened to door to find … OHMIGOD .. bhayya and bhabhi.

They had stopped by. LOL. Jet-setting family we are: on the way back to karachi from their honeymoon in iran, they decided to stop by Dubai to pay us a visit. Tee hee.

So they spent a few days with us where I knew not head from tail. I think I didn’t even properly see Arfiman for two whole days. He evening Bhayya and Bhabhi arrived, I went out with them and came home really late to find Arfiman asleep. I kissed him g’night and tucked myself in. The next morning, I left for work before he even got up and I went out with Bhayya Bhabhi straight from work and returned at home to find Arfiman sleeping AGAIN. Again I went to work in the morning before he woke up and when I saw him that night, it was like we were on a date. LOL. He kept making eyes at me *blush*

So that’s that. Crazy days with out-of-towners. I didn’t get a chance to say bye to N., but hey, I hear she might be making a move here permanently, so Yay :)

This past weekend, Arfiman and I also attended our first church wedding and it was so, so beautiful. You can’t blame me for going all teary-eyed, but J. looked so gorgeous in her off-white gown and her mum was positively beaming. After a lovely ceremony at the Jebel Ali Church, and a very amusing and yet insightful few words from The Father (of the church, and not of the bride/groom), we went off to the reception at the villa of a friend of the couple’s in Barsha.

It was obvious that this ceremony had more to do with sharing your special day with special people instead of like the typical desi shaadi where the shaadi is an opportunity to show exactly how many people you know OF. So doesn’t matter whether you’ve not seen the person for ten years, the shaadi is your chance to invite them and see them. Bull crap.

J and L’s wedding was a lovely, private affair with about 50 or so people. The reception was an early dinner followed by dancing.

You think that’s a full weekend? Wait till you hear what comes next.

BIG NEWS.

Not really mine to tell, so I’ll tell it as best as I can without stealing somebody else’s thunder.

Somebody is gonna HAVE A BABY!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Nine months of boated feet, stretch marks, raging hormones, clothes that don’t fit and ALWAYS being hungry. Un-uhn. The pitter patter of tiny feet and soft baby butt cheeks. Yum.

8 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

Is it someone I know?

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with Desi Fashion is the people who make fun of other people's dresses are suck at it themselves. I am tired to see brown people wear the colors meant for white skin. Well! if one is happy to look like a clown all the time then let them be. You know I do it whenever I goto India (home).

3:11 PM  
Blogger bakpakchik said...

@ neena

honey, there is no such thing as colors meant for white skin. i grew up being told white and yellow are for light skinned people, but y'know what? i look fine in both. it's less what you wear and more how you wear it.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Blogger said...

Is it someone I don't know?

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uj i stumbled on ur blog, and its a good thing i did. its been ages since v talked but was nice to get an insight on ur life, an i am soo glad ur happy. first i want to congratulate u on ur wedding, i know its kinnda late but better late then never...an lemme guess ur gonna b a phoopo.
nice blog!!

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever told you about those colora are bluffing with you. I can tell you look stunning in white, yellow, beige and blue.

Here you can find out what look good on you.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutorials/CindyBuschColorAnalysis.htm

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bakpakchik and Arfiman are going to have a BABY.

Now guess who am I?

2:29 PM  
Blogger bakpakchik said...

Okay, I did not see THIS coming. Just to set the record straight ... I wasn't talking about US.

You'd think I'd be a bit more creative when breaking the news of a bun in my oven! :P

No, we're not pregnant.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home