bakpakchik

Monday, January 08, 2007

The Lines From Last Night (Readings from Shantaram)

Thanx to tabz, I have been living. eating and breathing Shantaram for the last two weeks.

"What the fuck is this?" I nearly dropped the package when she handed it to me. I didn't expect her to get me a two-thousand page BOOK from Karachi. A nice Khaadi handbag like she always does, but not a book. Not a two-thousand page one!

"Everyone in Karachi is reading it." she sadi simply.

I furrowed a brow. It was big and heavy. It was called Shantaram. It had a very indian illustration on the cover. Do i really want to read 2000 pages of Indianness.

I gave it a try. And I haven't been able to let it go.

Everyone out there who hasn't read it. Go buy a copy now, or die. If you have not read this book, you have read nothing. It's THAT powerful.

The things this man writes. Linbaba thinks like a God. I want to drink his every word. That is why it is taking me so long to read this book. I don't want to finish it. I want it to go on forever. Every page has a new story and every story is told in the most wondrous way. He takes the most mundane of things and turns them into fairytale fantasies. A smoky tea room becomes glamorous and an ailing slum becomes a haven.

Last night, there were two lines in the book that resonated with me (and that I guess is what I like the most about the book ... the most profound of thoughts that I have never been able to capture in words have been captured par excellence). The lines from last night:

Lisa was talking to Linbaba about why she hates children. She tells him that you think they are so innocent but they are not. They know exactly what they want and don't rest until they get it. And then she tells him that, as a matter of fact, she realizes that the most awful people in this world are actually those that act like grown-up children.

And I agreed with Shantaram on both counts.

Some of the most irritating people I know simply need to grow up. And I too, hate the idea of having children because I think they are rude, selfish, unneccessary creatures.

I know this will bring on a barrage by maternal/paternal readers, but please save it. I have nothing against your kids. I just don't want any of my own. Not yet.

Dangerous grounds to tread on with so many friends pregnant and a best friend delivering in just a few days, but really.

To seal the deal, on our flight back from Karachi, Arfiman and I were serenaded by a constantly wailing infant. Arfiman looked at me. "And that" he said "is why we are not having children". LOL. Took the words right from my mouth.

They are smelly and cranky and time-consuming and too much effort .. and it's not really their fault ... that's just the way they are.

But Shantaram, you nailed it in the head.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the most awful people in this world are actually those that act like grown-up children"

Wow thats a line written by shanta just for you :)

Oh and I agree you shouldnt have kids one of you is enough.

Anon

1:08 AM  
Blogger bakpakchik said...

You know the funniest thing about anonymous people? Okay, beats me ... there is nothing funny about them. They are just plain lazy, annoying people who are scared of putting their names to their words.

Have a backbone and leave your name and URL next time.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

Surely you aren't talking about Iman...

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and then you say this is a personal blog.
HAHAHAHAHA.

10:23 AM  
Blogger bakpakchik said...

LOL Hina .. NO ... Iman, and you know this, is an exception to the rule of Messy Kids. To MY rule of staying away from all kids. :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger heenad said...

LOL. how about kids who act like grownups?

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home