bakpakchik

Monday, August 01, 2005

What is UP with being Shaadi Shuda?

What is UP with stereotypes of married folk and what they must look/act like?!

If you gave me a penny for everytime poeople told me during this trip that I don't look like I'm married at all ... well!!!

So I am married. Does that mean I grow two horns or what?

Hell, I even got asked about my mother in law by a person (who shall remain unnamed for he sake of their own wellbeing) and when I reported happily that Mummy is simply amazing and what a good relationship I have with her ... well, the said person was mighty surprised. Not even a single fight? None?!! I could confide in them, they assured me. I don't have to put up a front, I was told.

So what? Should I say Mummy is a tyrant and that she's always nitpicking at me and that we NEVER agree on anything? Yeah, that woudlbe so much more normal by stereotypical standards, eh?

Well, no apologies , but I apparently have an amazingly abnormal relationship with my mum in law. We chat on the phone, we buy each other little trinkets for no real reason except that we saw something that made us think of the other and one the whole she makesme wonder what is UP with the whole Kyunkey Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi deal? The politics and the 'not being able to stand each other'ness? Matlab keh kya?!!

And what is UP with women turning into christmas trees the day they get married? What is UP with all that gold?

Just come to peace with the fact, people, that bakpakchik never liked wearing jewelry and never will, and now amount of shaadi shudaaness can change that. That, or the length and color of my hair (which constantly changes, mind you).

What is UP with this.

Man, am I glad I didn't marry a typical Pakistani boy who would want me to wear shalwar kameez infornt of his parents and cook biryani for a family dawat every friday.

It's almost a year now and one of these days I am going to dedicate a post to some thoughts that I do not want to underplay by putting as afterthoughts down here.

Some things of course, will never find their way here and I feel incredibly desi saying this, but you have to be married to understand what exactly the bond is. No amount of prose or poetry can capture the essence of it.

Apologies to any singles out there who are reading this, but marriage is the GREAT.

Marriage the way is mine, Alhamdolillah, is the best thing ever.

I love you Arfiman ... for everything. And always :)

3 Comments:

Blogger 3rd avenue said...

woohoo for the non-sterotyped-ness

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All relationship need workign at. If people can fight with their mothers then why not mother in laws?

Most Mother in Laws are just Mothers looking out for their sons or daughters.

Todays wife is tommorw's Daughter in Law.

Simply put in terms women will understand:

Kyoun ke (lets all say it together) saas bhi kabhi bahoo thi!

Omair

3:17 AM  
Blogger bakpakchik said...

yeah .. easy for you to say. I think YOUR mum in law is rather nice too :)

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home